A Day In The Life | Giftie Etcetera: A Day In The Life

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

A Day In The Life

ENTRY #1 - 8:25 a.m.
Ander woke up around 5 a.m., crying for his daddy. Alan got up to get Ander some milk and bring him to our bed (on his side, because I think Ander needs to learn to stay in his crib until at least 6 a.m.). I went to the bathroom, and went back to sleep.
Alan left for work around 7 a.m. I don't remember, because Ander was unusually cooperative and slept next to me until about 7:20 a.m. Then he asked for tv. I turned on the Disney channel, and slept next to a tv-watching toddler until 7:40 a.m.
I got ready for work. First, I set out my makeup, hair comb, conditioning spray, and towel with robe on the counter. I took a quick, warm bath, where I washed my hair. I got out, did my hair, got dressed in chocolate brown pants, a long-sleeve chocolate and aqua patterned shirt, and a tan jacket. Ander asked to brush his teeth, so I let him while I brushed mine.
Then I put together everything for the day. I have to return library books. The only one that is missing? The one on organizing. :) I think, no I hope, it's in my car. I made coffee.
Now I'm going to load up my car, change Ander, and pack breakfast and lunch. (Breakfast for me will be a croissant and coffee in the car.) I hope to stop by the library to drop off my books on the way to the office. So, now I'm going to turn off the laptop and get going.
ENTRY #2 - 10:12 a.m.
I just read over my first entry, and I made it sound like I did so little. I really worked hard. I had to remember to take my meds (several pills), change a fighting toddler's stinky diaper, realize the diaper pail was not available because it was airing out from garbage day, find a place to put said stinky diaper, get Ander dressed - including the great hunt for shoes on the table, and pack 6 bags. My purse needed my cell phone put in it from the charger. My laptop bag needed the laptop (shut down first, of course) and the plug and mouse. My tote bag held my lunch, library books, a new computer stand that Brien gave me for my birthday (using it right now and it works fab, BTW), and my backup drive for my work computer. I have a new bag for court from hubby for my birthday, and I have court tomorrow, so that is going to work with me. And Ander needed a sippy cup for his backpack. The one he was using cracked.
On the way to work, I called my hubby. I fed myself a croissant and coffee. I feed Ander a croissant. I stopped at the library to return 10 books (yes, I found the organizing one in my car...how embarrassing). I left Ander in the car while I returned the books. I'm certain that is not legal, but I never actually went inside the library and I determined he was safer strapped in, parked right next to where I was, than in the library parking lot while I was loaded down with books.
I called my mom to tell her I'd be running late to work by about 15 minutes, and then I talked to Ander until we arrived at mom's house. I unloaded his snack and lunch and my lunch into the frig and grabbed some documents my mom needed me to put in the mail. Then it was off to work, where I unloaded the remaining five bags into my office.
I gossiped with my office manager (Rachel) for five minutes or so, and then did work.
I emptied my work from home into the appropriate outgoing boxes: office manager, student worker, and filing. I checked my e-mail (one potential client and several blog comments). I called a cousin and wished her happy birthday. I reviewed the new procedure for client contacts with my office manager.
A client showed up for a meeting. I had her sign an affidavit so I could finalize her divorce. And now I'm typing this.
ENTRY #3 - 1154 p.m.
Let's see...since I last made an entry, I spoke to a client on the phone regarding closing her case, I went through my in-box and processed the mail, and I spoke to a counselor and a parent regarding a client's sentencing tomorrow. I helped Rachel with taxes and started to prepare for court tomorrow.
Now I am off to lunch. It's leftovers from several restaurants over the weekend.
ENTRY #4 - 12:32 p.m.
Ate lunch. Turns out my mom had cooked (which rarely happens), so I had some mac 'n cheese and some potatoes au gratin. I also had one Peppermint Patty. I am about to go over tomorrow's trial docket to prepare my arguments for juvenile court.
ENTRY #5 - 2:19 p.m.
I had a phone conference with a potential client and a meeting with a potential client. In both cases, I recommended that if things did not get worse, they did not need an attorney. I prepared a letter to opposing counsel in a criminal case, trying to work out a plea deal. I instructed my student worker in how to close certain files and where to out the trash. I have another client coming in at 3:30 p.m., but before that, I need to do the three tasks in my in-box (begin the process of withdrawning from a closed file, prepare a note of evidence and motion and order for payment, and review a judgment and send a copy to a client). I also hope to get all tasks listed in my e-mail done and cleared out. Oh, and I ate two small dark chocolate candies.
ENTRY #6 - 2:37 p.m.
Okay, okay, so I got side-tracked reading Stac (my cousin)'s blog. I am back on track.
ENTRY #7 - 3:14 p.m.
I did all three projects in my in-box, or assigned them out if they weren't billable. I helped the office manager with the tax documents (ugh, math!!!) and helped the student worker with the outgoing certified mail. Now I'm eating a Peppermint Patty and checking my websites while waiting on a potential client, who should arrive any minute.
ENTRY #8 - 4:27 p.m.
I met with the potential clients, who became clients. I am revising a will for one of them. Then I helped Rachel (poorly, I might add) with some math. I am clearing off my desk, packing up stuff for court tomorrow, and leaving the office.
ENTRY #9 - 5:54 p.m.
I hugged my son, who was unusually enthusiastic about my arrival to pick him up. I ate my leftovers that I had brought, but not eaten, for lunch. I gave Ander some of my bottled water in his sippy cup. He smiled and said, "I excited." Where the heck did he learn the word *excited*? I visited with my sister, Wendy, and then told Ander to say bye bye. He refused, and then slapped me. Since I had just warned him to be respectful and talk nice to mommy, he went to timeout for a minute and a half. Then he told everyone bye bye. We dropped off his *Monkey*, my mom's teenage neighbor, at her house, and then drove home. Ander fell asleep. I talked to alan briefly on my cell, and then talked to my youngest sister. I got home, unpacked my work stuff, plugged in my computer, and chatted with my hubby. And now I'm writing this, and I am about to get on-line while my hubby played x-box live.
ENTRY #10 - 6:06 p.m.
Still on-line, but took a break to take an ovulation test. Along with my other problems, I suspect I am not ovulating this month. Fabulous. I'm just sure my doctor will like that, and follow it up with millions of expensive and time-consuming tests, only to find nothing is wrong.
ENTRY #11 - 6:59 p.m.
Finished playing on-line. Sat with Ander a bit. Offered Ander a choice of chicken and rice or a burrito. He decided on a churito (???) with cheese. Um, okay. Alan is cooking it right now. Ander is whiney, probably because he got up from his nap at 6:30ish.
For the rest of the night, I plan to watch Wife Swap and Supernanny with Alan, tuck Ander in at 8:30 p.m., and maybe read a book between 9 and 10 p.m.
Night night.


No comments: