Charming | Giftie Etcetera: Charming

Monday, September 15, 2008


Or should I say, Dr. Charming?

My contractions yesterday started around 5:30 or 6 p.m. Around 9 p.m., they got really serious and we started paying attention. I tried to sleep from 11 p.m. until after midnight. Nope, waking up every 4 minutes. We timed them. 2-3 minutes each, 4 minutes apart, and really strong. (Author's note: This means that I only had about a one minute break when I wasn't contracting.) At 2:30 a.m., we called BIL to pick up Ander. At 3 a.m., we arrived at the hospital.

I dialated from 1 or almost 2 to 2 to 2 1/2. I am very soft, 50% effaced, but posterior. What does this mean? From Amazing Pregnancies:

"The Bishops Score generally follows this scale:

Score Dilatation Effacement Station Position Consistency

0 closed 0 – 30% -3 posterior firm
1 1-2 cm 40 -50% -2 mid-position moderately firm
2 3-4 cm 60 -70% -1,0 anterior soft
3 5+ cm 80+% +1,+2

A point is added to the score for each of the following:
Each prior vaginal delivery

A point is subtracted from the score for:
Postdates pregnancy
Premature or prolonged rupture of membranes

cesarean rates: first time mothers women with past vaginal deliveries

scores of 0 – 3: 45% 7.7%
scores of 4 - 6: 10% 3.9%
scores of 7 - 10: 1.4% .9%"

This means I get 1.5 points for dialation, 1 point for effacement, 1 for station, 0 for position, and 2 for consistency. That's 5.5 points. Add one point for prior vaginal delivery and I'm at 6.5 points. With that score, if I am induced, my chance of a failed induction/c-section is only .9% - 3.9%. Considering I've been contracting seriously for weeks now (with yesterday's "incident" involving screaming, cussing, and crying), I like those odds okay. Not that most doctors will induce until 37 weeks, which is this upcoming Friday.

Still, my contractions slowed and over the two hours I spent in the hospital, I didn't dialate anymore. So I knew I'd be sent home. The nurse knew I'd be sent home. The on-call doctor know I'd be sent home.

But the STUPID hospital doctor insisted on explaining it to me. Like I was five years old! And despite the nurse's assurances that she gave him my whole history (and her eye rolling behind his pompous back...LOL), he explained that I really should come in unless the contractions were closer together (than a one minute break between then?), over an hour (what about the five or six hours they lasted, huh, dimwit?), and stronger (than crying and screaming pain?). IDIOT. I tried to tell him they were like that, not in any attempt to stay in the hospital - who wants to not eat and stay hooked to monitors when you knwo nothing is happening - but in an attempt to clarify exactly what I should come in for. He restated his criteria - close together, over an hour, and stronger. SERIOUSLY, DUDE, WAS YOUR MEDICAL SCHOOL IN CARTOONLAND? He was oh so charming.

On the ride home, the contractions got even worse. I was in so much pain. I slept this morning. Now, they are mild and annoying, but not strong or consistent.

My sonogram and doctor's appointment is on Wednesday. For a really big baby, we'll likely have an induction date set. Otherwise, I'll probably get augmented with pitocin the next time my contractions come like this, after Friday, when I'll be 37 weeks.

This is getting old and horrible.


1 comment:

Frog said...

Ohh, This really sucks!! I am saying extra prayers that they just put you in the hospital on Wednesday and induce!