Hospital Trip #1 | Giftie Etcetera: Hospital Trip #1

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Hospital Trip #1

By noon yesterday, I still couldn't eat anything, and if I drank any liquids, I threw up. I called my doctor's office and left a message with my symptoms on the nurse's voicemail. I knew when the phone rang, calling me back, that they would send me to the hospital, because instead of the usual 2-3 hour wait, they called back in five minutes.

My sister picked me up (since I was at my mom's house) and drove me to the hospital. It's a long drive at lunchtime. We arrived around 2 p.m. There was literally a line of women in labor in front of me. They assessed me immediately, but it was clear these ladies needed to be admitted before me, and all the beds were full, so I got to sit in the waiting area. They checked on me a couple of times, and at 4 p.m., they finally got me a bed.


They decided I needed fluids because I had moderate ketones (whatever that means) and my pee was the color of coca-cola. (Hey, I warned there'd be TMI. Next time, don't read the TMI if you don't want to hear it. ;)) No problem. I am fine with getting an IV. I'm an easy stick.

Um, not dehydrated.

Between three different nurses, they "blew" (their word, not mine) my vein in my left hand, my left inner elbow, and my right hand. Eventually, I got an IV in my right inner elbow. And a shot in my butt. And despite believing one bag of fluids would do it, it tok two.

By 7 p.m., Alan and I were eating supper. I couldn't eat much, but actual food tasted SO GOOD.

I went to bed at 8 p.m., and since Ander spent the night with his cousins, I slept until 9 a.m. The meds were powerful; I still feel high and woozy. My blown IV sites are bumpy and sore and slightly bruised. I won't get to work today, because I'm too high to do legal work. And I'll probably take another phenergan, even though it makes me drowsy and high, because I don't want to slip back into the cycle of not eating. Apparently, the food poisoning/virus/whatever-I-had restarted my colitis, which was in remission. So I'm still in the bathroom constantly, which means I really need to push eating.

I'm a 1000% better today. (I hate when people say 1000%. D'uh.) But I'm not sure how I'll get back to work feeling like this. I guess I'll concentrate on getting well today, and worry about work over the weekend.



Frog said...

I'm glad you are feeling better! I wish it weren't tax season. I'd come play with Ander and let you rest!

Stac Cole said...

So....I'm guessing you probably won't be coming get Brendan this week ay? :) I can always drop him off on my way to work and pick him up after work tomorrow...I know you need to cut your grass and stuff and you are absolutely in no condition to do that. He can even keep Ander entertained for awhile. Give me a call if that's ok with you.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I hope you continue to feel beter, and beter! That does not sound fun.